What is a radical neck dissection? when is it done?

What is a radical neck dissection?

The surgeon removes a block of tissue from the collarbone to the jaw and from the front to the back of the neck. The large muscle on the side of the neck that is used for rotating, flexing or extending the neck is also taken out, along with the major vein on the side of the neck. Sometimes, a less drastic operation, called a supraomohyoid neck dissection is done. This takes out only the lymph nodes, the tissue surrounding the nodes and a muscle at the front of the neck. Another technique, called a functional neck dissection, saves the muscles of the neck, taking out only the lymph nodes and tissues surrounding them.

What kind of incision is made with a radical neck dissection?

The incision depends upon what the surgery is for. It can run from below the ear to the collarbone. Everything in the front of the neck on one side or on both sides may be removed. This may include the lymph nodes, blood vessels, nerves, and the salivary gland under the jawbone.

When is a radical neck dissection performed?

A radical neck dissection is performed to remove the tumor and the lymph nodes in the neck. Cancers such as those of the lips, tongue, and larynx sometimes spread to the lymph nodes, requiring them to be removed.

Is a tracheostomy done as part of the operation for radical neck dissection?

A tracheostomy (opening made in the windpipe) is usually necessary if the doctor is going to perform a radical neck dissection. After a few days the tube will be taken out and the opening will close.

Is a radical neck dissection a major operation?

Yes, it is. It may require up to 5 or 6 hours to perform when it is done along with the removal of the primary cancer.

Why is it important to exercise after I have had radical neck dissection?

In a radical neck dissection, the nerve responsible mainly for arm motion, which connects with one of the most important muscles in your neck and upper back, is cut. It makes it harder for you to raise your arm over your head or out to your side. If the surgery is on both sides of your neck, you will probably have some trouble raising both arms. However, there are special exercises which wiil help you get some of the strength back again.

Comments

  1. Hmm iis anyone else haing problems wiith the pictures on this blog loading?

    I'm trying to find out if itts a problem on my end
    or if it's the blog. Any feedback would be grwatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's remarkable designed for me to have a site, which is useful in favor of my knowledge.

    thanks admin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, just wanted to tell you, I liked this blog post.

    It was helpful. Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I want too subscribe for this website to obtain hottest updates, thus where can i do
    it please assist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this post is nice, my sister is analyzinjg these things, so I am
    going to let know her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its not my first time to visit this site, i am browsimg thijs web site dailly
    and obtain niice data from here every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been exploring for a bbit for any high-quality articless or weblog posts inn this sort
    of area . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this website.
    Studykng this information So i am happy to express that I have an incredibly good
    uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed.
    I so much definitely will mak certain to don?t put out of your mind
    this site and give it a look regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always spent my half an hourr to read this website's articles or reviews all
    the time along with a cup off coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanls for the auspicious writeup. It in reality was once a
    ammusement account it. Glance complex tto far introduced agreeable frtom you!
    However, howw could we keep up a correspondence?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thhis blog was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally
    I've found something that helped me. Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy,cause I ound just what I was taking a look
    for. You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you
    man. Have a great day. Bye

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Where does Melanoma most often metastasize?

Oral(Mouth) Cancer: Symptoms, Bleeding, Treatment and Diagnose

Ejaculation and sexual life problems after prostate surgery

How to know if your ankle is broken? How is a broken ankle treated?

How painful is a bone marrow transplant for the donor

What are the most important side effects of taking female hormones?

What is the symptoms of a head concussion? Is concussion a brain injury?

How is a broken or cracked rib treated?

The most important difference between Hodgkin's disease and non-hodgkin's lymphoma

Common Hand Injuries: Treatment for swollen hand due to injury